Host Operating system: openSUSE Leap 15.1
VMware Workstation Player is free for personal non-commercial use (business and non profit use is considered commercial use).
1. BIOS Settings
- Example motherboard: Gigabyte AM4 with DualBIOS.
- Main menu > MIT > Advanced CPU Core Settings > SVM Mode Enabled.
- Main menu > Chipset > IOMMU Enabled.
DualBIOS means that the motherboard has both a ‘Main BIOS’ and a ‘Backup BIOS’, protecting users from BIOS failure due to virus, hardware malfunction or power failure during the update process. The motherboard has two chips. The M_BIOS (Main BIOS) and the B_BIOS (Backup BIOS).
MIT – Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker
SVM – Secure Virtual Machine
IOMMU – Input-Output Memory Management Unit.
2. Create a Virtual Machine for Windows 10
VMware Workstation 15.5 Player is Type 2 hypervisor.
- Open VMware Workstsation 15 Player.
- Go to the Main menu > File > Create a New Virtual machine
- Install operating system: you can select for example a Windows image (Win10_2004_EnglishInternational_x64.iso)
- Virtual machine name: Windows 10 x64
- Disk: Select the HDD or SDD. Enter the size e.g. 60 GB or larger
- Hardware customization
- Select the amount of memory in MB to be allocated to the virtual machine: 2 GB or more
- Number of processor cores: 2
- Display: Enable “Accelerate 3D graphics”